Working in Canada

Did you know?

  • Over 404,000 work permits were issued in 2019
  • Canada is looking to retain the skilled talent, as such many workers qualify for permanent residency programs through Express Entry
  • There are many options for you to come to Canada to work temporarily

Mehta Immigration is here to guide you on how to leverage these programs to find the quickest and cost-effective way to enter Canada. Read more below or complete an assessment and contact Mehta Immigration today so that we can help you putting together your immigration plan today!

A positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is required in order for an employer to higher a Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW). LMIAs are categorized as low wage or high wage, depending on whether the wage being offered is below or above the provincial/ territorial median hourly wage where the job is located.

Requirements and Eligibility

Although the requirements are based on the stream, all employers must meet the following basic requirements:

  • Has a legitimate business
  • Provides goods or services to the public
  • Is able to pay a salary to a foreign worker
  • Has a genuine need for a foreign worker
  • Has not laid-off employees in the 12-months period preceding application
  • Proof of advertising

The Government uses Labour Market Impacts Assessment (LMIA) to ensure that permanent residents or Citizens are offered the position, prior to a temporary foreign worker. A positive LMIA is required in most cases (unless the job offer is LMIA exempt), along with the employer being approved by the Government to offer the position to the foreign worker. After a positive LMIA is issued, the worker may apply for a work permit. The work permit allows you to work for a specific employer and gain valuable experience to build your knowledge and skills.

Spouses/ partners of people who are studying full time or working in a skilled job are eligible to obtain an work permit to work for any employer in Canada.

Requirements and Eligibility

  • The spouse/ partner must be on a valid study permit, enrolled in a full time program at an eligible public post-secondary school


  • The spouse/partner must be on a valid work permit, working in a skilled job classified per the national occupation code
Call Now ButtonCall Now